Ray LaHood, our Secretary of Transportation, made some great comments about bicycling and why we should make it a priority. Even though there is an estimated 10% of folks who ride their bike to work, with the other 90% driving, by investing in bicycle facilities we are creating a win-win. Building bicycle facilities is much less expensive than creating additional capacity on our roads for cars, such as building an additional car lane. And, by increasing bicycle facilities, we are keeping that 10% out of their cars too, maintaining room on our streets and roads for cars. LaHood said that if current bicycle commuters decided to drive instead, our current roadways would be put to a halt. You can read Ray LaHoods blog here: https://fastlane.dot.gov/2010/04/what-we-know-about-bike-infrastructure-people-want-it.html
I'm glad that Ray made this point, because one of the biggest events in San Luis ObispoCounty is right around the corner -- Bike Month. I run into a lot of folks who are adamant about driving and not riding their bike for that matter. Now, I feel empowered to remind them that even if they're not a bicycle commuter, and don't plan to be, by supporting bicycle commuters they are ensuring that our current roads and highways remain un-congested and maintained. Aka, they get to keep driving without traffic or congestion because cyclist choose not to. Its a win-win.
Bike Month is this May. For more information, go to www.rideshare.org/lifeinthebikelane.